How to Choose a POS System for Small Business?
Every customer is individual. One likes some of the products in your store, while others are completely different. The third do not like anything, but they still buy something, so that they do not leave empty-handed.
Some customers found out about you from advertising, others came after positive feedback from their friends. However, all these buyers have one thing in common – they make a purchase at a point of sale.
Today we will talk about why we need a POS-system for small business and other important issues.
What is a POS-system?
A POS-system is not just an ordinary cash register, which performs only a formal value and should be at each store. Today it is a large modern complex, consisting of software and hardware equipment.
With its help merchants can not only register sales, successfully accept payments from customers and print them payment receipts. Today, thanks to this system you can effectively produce analytics, use all the CRM capabilities and manage inventory.
Advantages of POS-systems
Not everybody knows about it, but modern POS-solutions can both increase the sales level of your company and have a negative impact on it if you irresponsibly choose such solutions.
With the help of this system, you can quickly and easily register all transactions and keep records of them. In the future, this data can be used to improve product lines, optimize costs and increase sales.
Special POS-systems for restaurants are additionally equipped with marketing, customer and inventory management and other interesting functions. Built-in loyalty program will allow you to use this system to encourage customers to contact the company again.
Which companies use POS-systems?
You probably think we will answer that all companies without exception use this system. Yes, it is indeed so. Stores, restaurants, boutiques, clubs, spa salons, fitness centers. The list is infinitely long. Each company to a greater or lesser extent uses POS solutions to formalize transactions and increase sales.
What to pay attention to when choosing POS
In order to make the right choice of POS system, follow these rules:
- Understand your needs. What are your company needs, and which functions will be superfluous, and you should not overpay for them? By only answering this question, you will simplify your choice significantly.
- Analyze the current POS-system. If you want to replace it, there must be some reason for that. Maybe it has important drawbacks or it does not have the necessary functionality to effectively solve your company’s problems. With such a simple analysis, you can apply all the answers you get to find the best solution. For example, if your POS system is unable to accept gift cards, you will look for a system that can do this.
- Talk to your employees. Be sure to get the opinion of the people who will work directly with the system. This includes employees of the sales room, cashiers, etc. Do not just ask their opinion, but write down their answers so that you do not forget about them. In addition, by following this advice, you will increase the motivation of your staff, because they will be sure that their opinion is considered and heard.
- Pay attention to the hardware and software that you use. For many companies, replacing hardware is too expensive an investment. So think about whether you are so unhappy with your hardware that you are ready to change it. Maybe it is better to pay attention to some modern solutions that will work effectively with your existing equipment.
- Make a decision, looking at the future of your company. You may be fully satisfied with your current POS-system, but if you are planning to expand your business, you will need appropriate equipment with enhanced functionality. For example, if you plan to open several stores in the near future, you must be sure that your existing POS-system supports the ability to manage multiple points of sale.
- Of course, it is not superfluous to pay attention to your budget. By choosing some solutions, you can pay only $29 per month, such as others will cost you $400-500 each month.
- Your POS-system should help your company grow and develop, not drag you down. Modern systems can not only accept payments and issue checks, but they can also provide your company with data from which you can make the right decisions for better results.